Join the Founders of Birth Roots for a class on leading & facilitating a ground-breaking style of group work that enhances the individual’s agency as the author of their own story.
We will explore why and how this method expands the individual’s capacity and autonomy while simultaneously enhancing collective interdependence and mutual investment.
Through a balance of individual and small group exercises, lecture and practice, we will make the leap from instructor to facilitator, shifting from an urge to provide the right answer and right information to an instinct to create the necessary conditions for each person to discover his/her authentic solutions.
Topics covered include:
- The environment as the second facilitator: what kind of space does your group need, what enhances or hinders our production of oxytocin, the hormone of attunement, community and growth.
- The tone: What can the facilitator access to ensure that there is “fertile ground” for participants to feel safe enough for sharing and connecting to take root.
- The topics: How does the facilitator keep the topics substantive, real and useful? Balancing chit-chat, surface chatter and information-based sharing with the more transformative and connection-based discussions that get to the heart of the experience and emotions.
- The Tools: How to ask the right questions, what not to say, redirection skills, ice-breakers, following the lead of the group while leading the group, finding common ground, holding the bigger picture…
- The Practice: How to continue to deepen your skills and enhance your instincts. How do you know what you are doing is making an impact?
Weekend Intensive includes the foundational philosophy and skills for this style of group work: Next Training Date TBD – Late Winter 2015
- Previous teaching or group facilitation experience
- You must have a group that you are planning to work with which will utilize this training