To fully support parents it’s best to have a strong understanding of what they’re learning while taking note of the changes which occur during childbirth preparation classes. Many certifying doula organizations (DONA included) require observation (not as an expectant parent) in one of these series. Our Birth Class Series (Birthing From Within) fulfills this requirement. It is 3 hours per night over 4 weeks totaling 12 hours.
When registering you will be asked to agree to follow our Observation Guidelines of Conduct:
As an observer it is important that you do just that, invisibly observe – an amazing opportunity to be a “fly-on-the-wall”, a rare window into the lives of expectant (often first-time) parents! We ask that you adhere to the following 8 agreements as an observer in one of our classes:
- Be sensitive and respectful that the intent of the class is to facilitate participants’ unique transformation from individuals to parents.
- We expect that anything you hear in class be considered confidential, even a seemingly mundane detail, so it is as if you were never there.
- Similar to the birth process, the presence of an observer can inhibit an organically unfolding process. Please be sensitive and practice not calling attention to the fact that you are there as a witness.
- Since Birth Roots’ instructors are primarily focused on creating a container for vulnerability and connection between participants, it is strongly recommended that you remove yourself from the class setting during break times and enjoy a break in the kitchen or one of our side sitting rooms.
- The instructor/facilitator will reference that you are sitting in on the class as a student, but observers do not take part in the introduction times or ask questions during class time. The facilitator can spend up to 5 minutes with you after class if any questions remain.
- The facilitator will call the class’ attention to the opportunity to chat with you if it is appropriate in the context of the class, but you may not approach participants with intent to promote your services.
- Inability to respect these agreements is ground being asked to leave without a refund.
- Parents take 1st priority and you may be bumped from your first choice scheduled class if space is needed.
Childbirth class description:
Ancient wisdom and modern practices come together in this dynamic approach to childbirth education. Build confidence and gain an understanding of how to work with your body and the process of labor and birth. Learn support skills, relaxation techniques and tools for communicating your needs to your team. This is a lively, introspection-based class where couples learn to process the information they are hearing and see if/how it applies to them.
Please view our Class Cancellation Policy on our Class FAQ page.