Classes – Frequently Asked Questions
When To Take Classes
The best answer for “when should I take a class?” is when it feels right to you and when it fits in your schedule but this gives you a general idea of intended timing
First – SecondTrimester
Welcoming Pregnancy – free class
Second – Third Trimester
Birth Class Series or One-Day
The Bridge Package
Baby Care Basics
Postnatal (0-12 months)
Blossoming Newborns Buds (0-12 weeks)
Blossoming Newborns Sprouts (3-9 months)
Hand in Hand Parenting Classes
Community Supported Parenting (0-3 years)
Hand in Hand Parenting: Toddler Parenting Essentials
Hand in Hand Parenting: Starter Series
Our Family: Parenting Queer
DONA Birth Doula Training
Breastfeeding for Birthworkers
Facilitating Community Training
- Online Payment – You can register and pay online by visiting our registration page. Payments are processed through pay pal but you don’t have to have a Paypal account to use your card.
- Mail a payment – Checks can be made payable to Birth Roots and sent to 101 State St, Portland, ME 04101
- Insurance Reimbursement – most insurance companies reimburse for some, if not all of your childbirth class fees with proof of your payment. If you need a receipt, please contact the office.
- Sliding Scale – Download our scholarship form HERE and mail or email the information to us.
- Barter/Trade – We can accommodate creative payment plans and Time Dollars through Hour Exchange Portland on a limited basis. Hour exchange system allows us to do service trades and barters.
- Gift Certificates – Gift certificates are available and make a wonderful shower gift. Recipients can register for classes and choose sending payment at check out. Or the giver can sign up for classes and pay for the class in one step. Payments are processed through Paypal but a Paypal account is not required.
Class Cancellation Policy
Birth Roots is a small nonprofit run by a part-time staff. Our class sizes are intentionally small to increase quality but are also an essential part of our annual budget. That said, we know that the need for class changes and cancellations comes up. Please email us or call us at your earliest convenience if you know you need to reschedule or cancel your class.
Payment in full is expected at the time of registration unless other arrangements are made. This applies to single and series classes. Any class missed without notifying Birth Roots prior to the start of class is not eligible for a refund or reschedule.
Course Cancellation Policy
Please notify us as soon as possible if you are ill, put on bed rest, or have another reason for missing your scheduled class.
If you must cancel your registration in a class, we ask that you give us at least one week (7 days) notice. If you miss a class or cancel your class within 7 days of the course date, all cancellations are subject to a 15% cancellation fee that is non-refundable. Example: A one-time class that costs $35 incurs a $5 non-refundable fee and a series class that costs $235 will incur a $35 fee. Emergency late cancellations will be reviewed on an individual basis.
Refunds for classes are generally not offered. If there is room in a subsequent class you may request a reschedule and apply your balance toward a future class. However, if Birth Roots must cancel a class due to low enrollment, we will refund your class registration fee in full and we will also happily recommend other class options for you upon your request.
Exceptions for an Earlier than Expected Birth
If you miss your class due to an earlier than expected birth before your class series begins, we will refund your class payment in full. No refunds or reschedules can be provided if you have attended 2 out of 4 class sessions. In this case, a prorated amount less the late cancellation fee may be provided as a credit toward postnatal classes.
Credits and Gift Certificates
All Credits and Gift Certificates must be used within 12 months of the original date of issue or the credit will be forfeited.
Call with any questions. (207) 772-4784.