Classes – Frequently Asked Questions
When To Take Classes
The best answer for “when should I take a class?” is when it feels right to you and when it fits in your schedule but this gives you a general idea of intended timing
First – SecondTrimester
Welcoming Pregnancy – free class
Second – Third Trimester
Birth Class Series or One-Day
The Bridge Package
Baby Care Basics
Postnatal (0-12 months)
Blossoming Newborns Buds (0-12 weeks)
Blossoming Newborns Sprouts (3-9 months)
Hand in Hand Parenting Classes
Community Supported Parenting (0-3 years)
Hand in Hand Parenting: Toddler Parenting Essentials
Hand in Hand Parenting: Starter Series
Our Family: Parenting Queer
DONA Birth Doula Training
Breastfeeding for Birthworkers
Facilitating Community Training
- Online Payment – You can register and pay online by visiting our registration page. Payments are processed through pay pal but you don’t have to have a Paypal account to use your card.
- Mail a payment – Checks can be made payable to Birth Roots and sent to 101 State St, Portland, ME 04101
- Insurance Reimbursement – most insurance companies reimburse for some, if not all of your childbirth class fees with proof of your payment. If you need a receipt, please contact the office.
- Sliding Scale – Download our scholarship form HERE and mail or email the information to us.
- Barter/Trade – We can accommodate creative payment plans and Time Dollars through Hour Exchange Portland on a limited basis. Hour exchange system allows us to do service trades and barters.
- Gift Certificates – Gift certificates are available and make a wonderful shower gift. Recipients can register for classes and choose sending payment at check out. Or the giver can sign up for classes and pay for the class in one step. Payments are processed through Paypal but a Paypal account is not required.
Class Cancellation Policy
- Payment in full is expected at the time of registration unless other arrangements are made. This applies to single and series classes.
- 24 hours after initial registration, all changes and cancellations will incur a $20 change fee.
- Any class missed without notifying Birth Roots prior to the start of class is not eligible for a refund or reschedule.
- Single Session Classes
- Changes or cancellations between 30 and 7 calendar days of the scheduled class will incur a $35 late-change fee.
- No refund can be offered with less than one calendar week notice. If there is room in a subsequent class you may request a reschedule and apply your balance (less the late change fee) toward a future class.
- Series Classes
- Changes or cancellations between 30 and 15 calendar days of the scheduled class will incur a $55 late-change fee.
- No refund can be offered with less than two calendar weeks notice. If there is room in a subsequent class you may request a reschedule or applying your fee (less the late change fee) toward a future class.
- Earlier than expected birth: No refunds or reschedules can be provided if you have attended 2 out of 4 class sessions. If you are unable to attend one or fewer classes a prorated amount less the late cancellation fee will be provided as a credit toward postnatal classes.
- Please notify us as soon as possible if you are ill, put on bed rest or have another reason for missing your scheduled class. Please notify us via email so we can put the note on your file and calculate your credits if this will prevent you from completing a class. Credits may be applied to future postnatal classes. No refunds or reschedules can be provided if you have attended 2 out of 4 class sessions. If you are unable to attend any classes or only one a prorated amount less the late cancellation fee will be provided.
- ALL Credits: Must be used within 9 months of the original date of issue or the credit will be forfeited.
Call with any questions. (207) 772-4784.